Wednesday, January 11, 2012

January 11, 2012 Flesh or Spirit?

SCRIPTURE READING:  Genesis 25:52 - 26:16SCRIPTUREGen 25:27-34
The boys grew up, and Esau became a skillful hunter, a man of the open country, while Jacob was content to stay at home among the tents. Isaac, who had a taste for wild game, loved Esau, but Rebekah loved Jacob. Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. He said to Jacob, "Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I'm famished!" (That is why he was also called Edom.) Jacob replied, "First sell me your birthright." "Look, I am about to die," Esau said. "What good is the birthright to me?" But Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob. Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left. So Esau despised his birthright.
______________________________________________

Now we are getting into the story of a nations being born as God had promised Abraham.  Isaac meets Rebekah and they marry.  She gets pregnant with twins, Jacob (represents Spirit) and Esau (represents Flesh).   Esau is the first born and therefore is entitled to birthrights from his Father Isaac.  But Esau, due to his flesh driven ways, gives up his birthright and gives it to Jacob because he is hungry.  His flesh overrides his desire for a birthright that is an honor for the first born.

Let's think about this a minute.....Our "fleshy" ways always seem to get in the way of our spirit.  We always seem to have a way of wanting the flesh in lieu of the spirt of God.  Have you ever fasted?  Maybe for medical reasons?  Have you ever thought about fasting for a purpose for God?  For God's direction in your life?  Or just for the will of God to try and overcome our human flesh and get down with the spirit of God.  I'm struggling with this right now.  My flesh can be so overpowering that it really is getting in the way.  I think about food, I watch way too much TV,  and it goes on.  The church that I go for classes is going through a church wide fast for direction for the church and for direction in each others lives.  I obtained a copy of the fasting journal in hopes to do the same.  I tried the first day and failed unmercifully.  I really would like to try to over come my flesh from food.  But it seems that ever time I say I can't have something...that's the very thing that I want. 
So, I'm going to put it out there.....This weekend I'm going to make a conscience effort to buy grocery that are healthy and go on this 21 day Daniel fast so that I can over come my flesh and get direction in my own life.  Any takers out there?  I'm not going to even try to start this until Sunday.  I have to prepare and make sure I have plenty of fruits, veggies, nuts and grains to be able to do this.

PRAYER
Dear God, I want to give up my flesh and serve you.  My flesh is so strong that I know that it overpowers your spirit that I'm having a hard time hearing you.  Lord help me to be strong in spirit so that my flesh does not mean anything to me any longer.  In Jesus name I pray....Amen.

No comments: